Maximize your potential by pursuing a master’s degree in Economics at the University of Mannheim – one of the best ranked universities in Germany, which is committed to producing the outstanding leaders of tomorrow. The program not only caters to individuals who are keen to pursue a corporate career, but also to those looking to begin a career in academia.
I’ve already completed a bachelor’s degree in Economics at the University of Mannheim and decided to stay for the master’s program. A number of rankings, such as the Times Higher Education Ranking, consider the Department of Economics in Mannheim to be one of the best in Europe. In particular, the range of master courses is exceptional: it is even possible to follow a specialized Competition and Regulation track. Mannheim is a livable city. Actually, there is more to it than meets the eye at a first glance.
In Mannheim students receive outstanding education in economics within an international study environment. The program both offers an extraordinary wide range of electives and allows for very flexible accreditation of qualifications obtained during exchange semesters.
The University of Mannheim is one of the best universities in Europe and enjoys an excellent reputation worldwide. That's why I decided to pursue my master's degree here. The students are extremely committed and the professors are excellent in their fields. I am particularly impressed by the libraries, the modern campus and the beautiful palace building.
- Duration and start of study: Four semesters (full time), annually in fall
- Language of instruction: English (no German language skills required)
- Possible specializations: Economics, Competition and Regulation Economics, Economic Research (doctoral level)
- Application period: 15 March - 30 April (bewerbung.uni-mannheim.de). All required documents must be submitted in paper form by 30 April at the latest.
- Admission requirements: Undegraduate degree in economics or an equivalent qualification with 180 ECTS credits or a a standard period of study of three years.
- Selection criteria: Transcript of records, letter of motivation, letters of recommendation, academic essay, academic and professional experience
- International perspective: Semester abroad, ENTER Master (double degree program)
- Study contents: Course catalog
- Fees: Semester fees (currently €160.40), tuition fees for international students (please check eligibility to be exempted)
- Download: Program flyer, study plans
At the Department of Economics, we do our best to provide a learning environment that facilitates the academic and personal development of our students. Top positions achieved in national and international rankings repeatedly confirm the high quality of our program. Pursuing a master's degree at Mannheim means joining an international student body. The past four graduation classes comprised students from more than 40 countries. About 40% of each class are international students. Click here if you want more good reasons to study Economics in Mannheim.
At the beginning of your studies you attend the core modules which provide a solid foundation in macroeconomics, microeconomics, econometrics, and mathematics. From the second semester on you are free to pick electives from our course catalog or from other departments. Depending on your track of spezialization, your course choice may be complemented by spezialized modules. Students who successfully applied for an exchange semester at one of our partners in- and outside Europe typically go abroad in the third or fourth semester. You conclude your studies by writing a master's thesis which will be supervised by one of our staff-members.
In comparison to other large cities in Germany, living in Mannheim is not very expensive. You should budget about EUR 700 to EUR 750 per month (made up of EUR 250-300 rent, about EUR 80 health insurance and the remaining money for groceries, clothing, etc.). Your expenses of course heavily depend on your lifestyle. More information on fees and possible ways to finance your life in Mannheim are available in the "Fees and scholarship" section.
You want further information? In our "FAQ"section you can find a selection of the most frequently asked questions about the program, the university, and life in Mannheim. In case you're looking for more detailed information, please do not hesitate to contact the program manager.